You can reslice the template (with the adjusted matrix) so that it
matches one of your normalised images.  The reslice only option of
coreg is good for this.  Not sure this is the easiest way to find
outliers though.

I'd try a PCA to see if there's anything to be seen there.  Within the
Dartel toolbox, there's an option to "build kernel from images" (or
similar).  This will save a file called dp_*.mat.  If you load this
file, you'll see it contains a square matrix that is the same size as
the number of scans you specified.  You can run svd on this matrix,
and plot the first few columns of the results.

[U,S]=svd(Phi);
plot(U(:,1:4))

If there's nothing obvious in there, then try:
plot(U(:,5:8))

etc

Best regards,
-John