The rationale in relation to LAC is I understand based on the authority being in loco parentis, rather than litigation risk issues i.e. preserving the child's life history in the way that (some) families would do.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tue 05/07/2011 13:08
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Retention of Children's files

Lucy,
I believe that the retention you mentioned is more accurate than what the
LGCSR states. I am fairly certain that the LGCSR is incorrect in many
areas, especially in records relating to children. It seems that the
retention of 75 years from DOB or if person died before aged 18 then 15
years from date of death has been used as a blanket retention period for
most records relating to children.

The legislation that provided this retention is the Care Planning,
Placement and Case Review (England) Regulations 2010 No. 959. However, it
is my understanding, and anyone please correct me if I'm wrong here, that
legislation is more to do with children in care rather than any children
as the LGCSR seems to imply.

In addition to further answers to Lucy's query, I'd be interested to hear
any thoughts members of this listserv have on the LGSCR and the areas
where it might not provide the best guidance. Cheers.

Sincerely,

Joseph Bartoletti
Corporate Records Management Officer

Legal and Democratic Services

Any opinions or statements expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual and not necessarily those of
Middlesbrough Council. Internet communications are not secure and therefore Middlesbrough Council does
not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message as it has been transmitted over a public
network. If you suspect the message may have been intercepted or amended, please call the sender.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential, may be legally privileged, and are solely for the
use of the intended recipient. If you receive this in error, please do not disclose any information to anyone
and notify the sender at the above address. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or
omitted, in reliance on the contents, is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Middlesbrough Council's computer systems and communications may be monitored to ensure effective
operation of the system and for other lawful purposes.

Save energy, money and the environment - is it really necessary to print this message?

 ** This email has been scanned for viruses, vandals and malicious content. **