I so want that T-shirt!! I’m already entitled…

Good points all.  Now of course I think:  how much of any of this can we build around the RAMESES project?

Cheers

Gill

From: Realist and Meta-narrative Evidence Synthesis: Evolving Standards [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Trisha Greenhalgh
Sent: Tuesday, 26 July 2011 4:04 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: How to persuade funders...

“how to get funders of reviews to understand the implications of the different methods - in part for how to structure calls, but also for findings (cf 'all arriving at the same findings, useful to all policy bods...' etc”

GOOD THREAD!  Mark said:

“In the short-term: personal communication, publication of short methodological papers/ reflections on the use of different SR methods and how policy makers were (or not) informed by them, refer to influential critics

In the medium-term: workshops, secondments of researchers into commissioning institutions, working with service users (can they make sense of the reviews??)

In the long-term: integration into undergrad/postgrad degrees (not just in social research methods courses...), development of centres of expertise (that genuinely have in-depth methodological engagement with a wide range of 'SR' methods)

All of the above could be aimed not simply at SR commissioners, but at the whole caboodle of people involved in an area of practice…”

To which I would add:

[1] recognising that a Kuhnian paradigm shift is often a political and ideological one, not merely a matter of science bursting out of its chrysalis, hence playing the power games (getting yourself on the committees that make the rules, etc etc – why am I on the REF panel?)

[2] NOT bottling out and publishing all your stuff in social science journals where it’s well received by your fans.  We all have to keep sending stuff to the Lancet even though we know it will get rejected with a letter saying it’s not reached GCSE standard

[3] ditto for finding bids. EVEN THOUGH the MRC is going to turn it down for being non-randomised and not having enough control groups, we should all keep submitting bids to these powerful, field-defining sponsors

[4] inviting people onto this list and the Delphi panel who are ‘waverers’ from the main camp

[5] but when writing this project up, use rationalist-technicist language as far as possible so our RAMESES guidelines are seen as “evidence based”

[6] perhaps get T-shirts made saying “I submitted a bid for a realist review and all I got was this lousy T-shirt”