We have two vacancies for the roles of:

Sense About Science is a charitable trust that equips people to make sense of scientific and medical claims. With a database of over 5,000 scientists, from Nobel prize winners to postdocs, we work in partnership with scientific bodies, research publishers, policy makers, the public and the media, to change public discussions about science and evidence. Through award-winning campaigns, we share the tools of scientific thinking and scrutiny. Our growing international Voice of Young Science network engages hundreds of early career researchers in public debates about research and evidence. Our activities and publications are used and shaped by community groups, civic bodies, patient organisations, information services, writers, publishers, educators, health services and many others.

It’s a busy, lively and friendly office where we all muck in and no two days are the same.

Assistant Director

The role has become available to due to the relocation of current post-holder. It is a great opportunity to play a central part in achieving Sense About Science’s aims by managing the office and coordinating the team, leading some of our programmes and developing our communications and new website.

The Assistant Director will:

You will have:

This post is likely to appeal to someone seeking career development and who may not yet have established the full range of skills associated with it, and this would be considered in the case of a bright, capable candidate with a clear eye for detail. You are welcome to contact us if you would like to discuss the post or your suitability.

Starting salary c.£35K. Holiday 20 days (plus bank hols, Christmas break and one day for every year worked)

Central London location (EC1R)

Email CV and covering letter to the current assistant director, Lindsay Hogg, [log in to unmask]

*CLOSING DATE 6pm 19th AUGUST 2011*

Shortlisted candidates will be required to complete a written task

Events and Campaigns Officer

The Events and Campaigns Officer will organise our programme of events and support the campaigns unit through:

You will have:

Starting salary £19K. Holiday 20 days (plus bank hols, Christmas break and one day for every year worked)

Central London location (EC1R)

Email CV and covering letter to the current assistant director, Lindsay Hogg, [log in to unmask]

*CLOSING DATE 6pm 19th AUGUST 2011*

Shortlisted candidates will be required to complete a written task

*Please note change of address and phone number.*

Lindsay Hogg

Assistant Director

Sense About Science

14A Clerkenwell Green

London EC1R 0DP

Registered Charity No. 1101114

Company No. 6771027

Tel: +44 (0) 20 7490 9590

www.senseaboutscience.org

Sense About Science is a small charity that equips people to make sense of science and evidence.
We depend on donations, large and small, from people who support our work.

You can donate, or find out more, at www.senseaboutscience.org/donate

Medical Journalists’ Association Health Charity of the Year 2010 for excellence in medical campaigning

Add your voice to the Libel Reform Campaign at www.libelreform.org

********************************************************************** Further information about the psci-com discussion list, including list archive, can be found at the list web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psci-com.html You may also change your settings and subscribe/unsubscribe to psci-com from the web site.

Psci-com is part of the National Academic Mailing List Service, known as 'JISCMail'. It adheres to the JISCMail Acceptable Use Policy: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/policyandsecurity/acceptableuse.html and to the JISCMail guidelines for etiquette: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/policyandsecurity/etiquette.html

Email commands: 1. To suspend yourself from the list, whilst on leave, for example, send an email to mailto:[log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com mail -- [include hyphens]

leave psci-com -- [include hyphens]

Please allow up to 24 hours for these commands to activate. Remember that you will need to send commands using the same email address that you used to register on psci-com. To contact the Psci-com list owner, please send an email to: [log in to unmask]