We have two vacancies for the roles of:
*	Assistant Director from 1st October
*	Events and Campaign Officer from 1st October

Sense About Science is a charitable trust that equips people to make sense
of scientific and medical claims. With a database of over 5,000 scientists,
from Nobel prize winners to postdocs, we work in partnership with scientific
bodies, research publishers, policy makers, the public and the media, to
change public discussions about science and evidence. Through award-winning
campaigns, we share the tools of scientific thinking and scrutiny. Our
growing international Voice of Young Science network engages hundreds of
early career researchers in public debates about research and evidence. Our
activities and publications are used and shaped by community groups, civic
bodies, patient organisations, information services, writers, publishers,
educators, health services and many others.

It’s a busy, lively and friendly office where we all muck in and no two days
are the same.

Assistant Director

The role has become available to due to the relocation of current
post-holder. It is a great opportunity to play a central part in achieving
Sense About Science’s aims by managing the office and coordinating the team,
leading some of our programmes and developing our communications and new
website.

The Assistant Director will:
*	Manage the weekly and monthly schedule of work and projects to meet
objectives and deadlines, liaising with colleagues and volunteers to plan
the  allocation of time and resources
*	Make day-to-day decisions and liaise with the Director to identify
matters requiring attention or decision
*	Develop and lead some of our community programmes
*	Edit content for online resources, publications and communications
*	Provide administrative help to the Director, including financial
planning and reporting, personnel and record-keeping and preparation of
annual reports
*	Organise Trustee meetings, reports and records
*	Give talks and represent Sense About Science at meetings, in
partnerships and collaborative activities

You will have:
*	A good degree, or higher
*	Experience in the following:
*	Staff management
*	Project or office management
*	Record keeping, reporting and planning, including familiarity with
financial procedures
*	Copy-editing skills, for example from writing marketing copy, press
releases or exhibition material

*	A collegiate manner
*	An ability to meet deadlines and plan clearly, particularly under
pressure and in  rapidly changing circumstances
*	A broad understanding of debates about science, medicine and public
attitudes and a keen interest in civic engagement
*	Very good organisational skills and attention to detail
*	A high standard of presentation

This post is likely to appeal to someone seeking career development and who
may not yet have established the full range of skills associated with it,
and this would be considered in the case of a bright, capable candidate with
a clear eye for detail. You are welcome to contact us if you would like to
discuss the post or your suitability.

Starting salary c.£35K. Holiday 20 days (plus bank hols, Christmas break and
one day for every year worked)
Central London location (EC1R)
Email CV and covering letter to the current assistant director, Lindsay
Hogg, [log in to unmask]

*CLOSING DATE 6pm 19th AUGUST 2011*
Shortlisted candidates will be required to complete a written task

Events and Campaigns Officer

The Events and Campaigns Officer will organise our programme of events and
support the campaigns unit through:
*	Writing communications for website, social networking, and publicity

*	Handling public enquiries and reports of misleading science claims
*	Campaign research and administration
*	Planning and delivery of events including annual lecture, annual
reception, VoYS workshops, projects and campaign meetings
*	Organising meetings and giving talks about Sense About Science’s
work and campaigns

You will have:

*	A good degree, or higher, in a science subject
*	Very good writing skills
*	Experience of coordinating or managing a calendar of events
*	An ability to meet deadlines and plan clearly
*	A broad understanding of debates about science, medicine and public
attitudes and a keen interest in civic engagement
*	A confident and effective manner

Starting salary £19K. Holiday 20 days (plus bank hols, Christmas break and
one day for every year worked)
Central London location (EC1R)

Email CV and covering letter to the current assistant director, Lindsay
Hogg, [log in to unmask]

*CLOSING DATE 6pm 19th AUGUST 2011*
Shortlisted candidates will be required to complete a written task

*Please note change of address and phone number.*

Lindsay Hogg
Assistant Director
Sense About Science
14A Clerkenwell Green
London EC1R 0DP
Registered Charity No. 1101114
Company No. 6771027
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7490 9590
 <http://www.senseaboutscience.org/> www.senseaboutscience.org

Sense About Science is a small charity that equips people to make sense of
science and evidence.
We depend on donations, large and small, from people who support our work.
You can donate, or find out more, at
<http://www.senseaboutscience.org/donate> www.senseaboutscience.org/donate

Medical Journalists’ Association Health Charity of the Year 2010 for
excellence in medical campaigning

Add your voice to the Libel Reform Campaign at  <http://www.libelreform.org>
www.libelreform.org