Thanks Andrew

I first wrote the poem, not at one pace but, in one go; and what is at the
end now was not at first at the end. It took me some time to get the
various elements in the right sequence - while I was rewriting anyway, of
course. I'm quite gratified that you all seem to find its ordering
_correct_. Best I can do anyway.

It's as if I knew to some extent all I wanted to say but needed time to
put it in the best receivable order -- and to find what I *really wanted
to say.

The exegesis flowed easily enough. I used never to comment much, not in
any detail, but the fellowship has cured me of that - completed a process
of many years of being precious, as I could now see it - though I am still
cautious of over explicating the process (A while back, deliberately not
dating it, I attended a talk by a composer, deliberately not naming or
gendering them, who explained that they have developed a way of combining
the creative and the research whereby the two activities mutually support.
I did actually nod off, though whether due to a stodgy late lunch or an
overheated building I am not sure; so I missed some of the argument's
development. However, the concert of their recent work depressed me; and I
concluded that they have somehow stifled their inventiveness -- and they
had real inventiveness once. Now they have gigs and reputation.

I like space for that wonderful response in O'Hara's why I am not a
painter where the painter says _it needed something there_ and no more

So one must go cautiously trying to open the poem for others without doing a
school litcrit job -- how does the versification support the theme? or
whatever they want; and maybe even sometimes making it easier for others
to write

I was reading a paper this morning and became absorbed in the debate over
whether a pterodactyl is a bird or a dinosaur!  and went past my stop - to
Surrey Quays, a strange place. I didn't even stay to plant a flag.

I looked up expecting to see the approach to my target station and saw it
- the landscape after - as for the first time. I have it classed as boring
and so never look now. I saw it again but for the first time - a
devastation of low rise pre-formed industrial building, fences to baffle
train sound which do nothing for the sense of vision... a new setting for
Dr Who or perhaps a remake of Quatermass and the Pit.

How could I have not SEEN it? I think I am looking at it properly now and
shall be intrigued to see if the journey west - wiltshire somerset levels
devon etc has been relit

Toodlepip

-----
solo poems