How about Fritz Lang's Metropolis (1927)? It has a couple of pretty intense designer archetypes: Joh Fredersen, the architect/industrialist who designed and controls the city, and Rotwang, the disruptive inventor of the revolutionary robot Maria. Everything in the film communicates about design, lots to talk about.

Cheers,

V.