Dear Ken, and list.
Thanks for your attempts to keep some clarity around this topic. To that end, I'd like to point out that you've taken my comment about interrogation of design canons out of context.
You wrote
-snip-

To speak of "years of endnoted interrogation of design canons" misses the point of literacy.

-snip-
However I wasn't referring to literacy, literature reviews or even plumbing here.  I was suggesting that old publishing paradigms are not the only ways that disciplinary 'authority' is established these days, and that maybe we could consider using new modes of social networking, but in ways that are still scholarly and rigorous. In this, I was replying to your earlier point about Mendeley being a social networking site and hence an inappropriate platform for assembling a reading list.

Best wishes,
Amanda

Dr Amanda Bill
Institute of Design for Industry and Environment
College of Creative Arts
Massey University, Wellington
New Zealand

+64 4 8015799 ex 62555