I may look, but I dont sniff.......Di you are so much more committed to the cause than me!

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 23:14:09 +0100
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] urine testing
To: [log in to unmask]

I too wondered about the time  interval between testing and reading.. some have a fixed 60 seconds between dipping and reading but I have seen some sticks that have  30 sec 45 sec and 60 secs readings
Am I the only nurse who still looks at it for colour and cloudiness , and sniffs it if it looks off?
I do find it a good opportunity to talk about increasing fluid intake if it looks very dark, and finding out what the hindrances are to getting an adequate fluid intake. Is it lack of available water, perceived lack of time, or lack of realisation that it is important. Or waterworks problems and lack of toilets so there is a deliberate reduction in intake...
And another thing,.. buy the dip sticks with the fewest possible tests on it that covers your requirements.. the more test there are , the greater the chance of a false positive...and more tests are more expensive sticks..
Cheers
Diane
******************************** Please remove this footer before replying. OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html