Oh wow I [if I even exist] will have to think about all this! But I agree about Alec's paper, it really is an excellent piece of work I enjoyed it immensely.

Best wishes Jo

From: Lydia Turner <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tue, 12 July, 2011 20:00:50
Subject: Re: welcome to my list: Narrative Inquiry where social science meets art

Hello all

I thought I would comment on Graham's comment below which really struck me

Is it possible that the 'self' is a verb, and not a 'noun'?  We are busy 'selfing' ourselves into existence, assuming that we are 'thinkers', when actually only thinking is happening ... 'rememberers', when only remembering is happening.  It's hard work ... constructing and maintaining a self ... but could it be simply a work of fiction?

I guess this follows on well with the idea of mindfulness and things only being here and now. The idea of transience might be quite a scary one if we start to apply it to ourselves. If we don't assert our existence then is there a danger that we are nothing, we are just a mind existing without a 'being' around that mind, or maybe to pinch from deleuze and guattari, "a body without organs", something formed and substantive but only in the moment, before it then moves on. Maybe this is quite scary. We might use 'I' and 'me' or 'my' to give ourselves substance and definition. Or if we see ourselves as relational, rather than singular, we might say 'we', which may acknowledge others in our 'being' but still nonetheless is a way of defining us.

Lydia