  _____

From: Narrative Inquiry where social science meets art
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of jo kirkpatrick
Sent: 28 July 2011 01:29
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Identity - but what about the human spirit?

Hi Alec, Sue, Lydia, Graham, and all

I apologise for dragging you all back in time but I have to say what
excellent points you all make. I wish I had been able to answer them when
they were posted. But I had to avoid the forum and my email inboxes until my
assignment was finished and there are just under 3 weeks until the next is
due. This next one is a final TMA of the module so no extensions are allowed
[which is rather terrifying]. I have done most of the reading and the
revision tables ready for October, so I shouldn't need to vanish for too
long between the 10th and 16th of August.

Yes you are right Lydia, writing your own life narrative for publication can
be fraught with issues; and as well as the ethical implications regarding
other actors, there might also be legal implications. For example, should
you use your own name? Even if you have nothing to be embarrassed about, and
your family and friends are supportive, other people such as teachers,
doctors, employers etc., might disagree with your version or the stance you
take. If somebody was unhappy about your perceptions of their past behaviour
they might threaten to sue you. I heard about a 'friend of a friend', who
really upset someone. They come round on a warm summer night and tried to
set fire to her net curtains through an open living room window. When the
curtains wouldn't burn because they were flame-proof they slashed her car
tyres instead, but it could just as easily have been a petrol bomb.

So we have no core identity, we are only what we have done, created, made,
built, said or written. The shared memories that we construct and leave in
the minds of others are the only evidence of our contested existences. We
are nothing elsee but shadows cast on the ground by wild geese as Graham
said:
 "a convenient fiction and an ego-sustaining illusion".

 We are not who we think we are. Or as Lydia says we are not even who others
think we are!

But talking about Bhudism, what about the spirit? I have had about 3
experiences of seeing and hearing first hand evidence of the existence of
this that I personally can't argue with. I was the only one who noticed [saw
or heard] apart from the last one that involved my 2 year old daughter [now
27]. She had no memory of it a few weeks later. I was very relieved about
that [no toddler should be burdened with terrifying and tragic memories of
her last hours and her own death in a previous life] and I was stone cold
sober.

I won't relate them because I wouldn't believe me, I don't expect anybody
else to. As a scientist I would want to back up any claims I make with
evidence that I do not have. These 3 separate events are completely
inexplicable but I live in hope that one or two might be explained one day.
Perhaps I will find answers through neurology or psychology, as they may be
some sort of defence mechanism. The third never will be explained - until I
die and I might find out what happens for myself.

A final wistful thought: I wonder if I could ever learn to be as fluent in
QualtSpeak as Alec? The phrase about 'old dogs and new tricks' comes to mind
but then again, I have only had about a year of qualt training compared to 7
years of quant. 10 years ago I use to wonder if I would ever be able to
master stats; and then it was learning to use SPSS, and I have done both so
you never know. Perhaps Rossetta Stone will add it to their catalogue!
Meanwhile I will keep reading the PDFs and the messages in here. It's very
nice to be back - I have missed you all, but knowing I was missing out on
all the fun did make sure I got 02 done fast!

Best wishes Jo

My phone number is:
02082991961

  _____