Dear GANM members,

FYI publised on the WorldPlus: Global Issues through the Eyes of Women at http://www.worldpulse.com/node​/28064

Editorial Midwife Volunteer

New Media for Social Change
Nurture the next generation of women citizen journalists who will shape our world!
Volunteer Position Description
Are you a worldly soul who would like to use new media and citizen journalism to lift and unite voices for social change? Then join a global movement of women who are harnessing the power of new media to broadcast solutions-oriented news from the front lines of some of the most unheard regions in the world. World Pulse is seeking volunteers for our third annual Voices of Our Future program, an exciting online new media, citizen journalism, and empowerment training course for emerging grassroots women leaders from around the globe. Our goal is to provide these women with the tools, knowledge, and mentoring they need to vocalize and actualize their visions for change.
This fall, thirty women will be selected as Correspondents to begin the five-month Voices of Our Future training program which starts in November. World Pulse needs volunteers to act as Editorial Midwives for these Correspondents as they navigate the program. Each Editorial Midwife will be partnered with one Correspondent. Your role will be to support, guide and empower: You will act as a nurturing editor to help your Correspondent find her empowered voice, learn the basics of citizen journalism and discover how new media can be used for positive social change. As an Editorial Midwife, you will journey alongside your Correspondent to the frontiers of new media and women's empowerment.
Midwife Commitments
  • Frequent and reliable access to the internet
  • Dedication to the entire five-month training course from November 2011 to April 2012
  • Participation in two training sessions to acquaint you with the program and your role: October 11th from 8-9:30am Pacific Standard Time; and October 18th or 19th from 8-9am Pacific Standard Time.
  • Devotion of 1-2 hours every week to working one-on-one with your Correspondent, providing feedback on assignment angles, and providing her with supportive and encouraging comments and edits. (Communication will be primarily conducted via email, Skype, online chat, etc.)
  • At least one introductory phone call (via Skype or landline) to introduce yourself to your Correspondent and outline a plan of action and communication for the following five months.
* Please note that to participate in the Voices of Our Future Program as an Editorial Midwife you will be required to join PulseWire, our online newswire and social networking site, to enable you to interact with your Correspondent and our wider global network of women. Click here to register today.
Required Skills
  • Excellent command of both written and oral English
  • Knowledge of basic journalism skills; excitement for social/new media a plus
  • Ability to craft succinct and encouraging comments on Correspondents' assignments
  • Willingness to be an open, insightful and supportive member of our global network
  • Flexibility and patience!
Benefits
The deep and soulful satisfaction of knowing you are participating in a program that will be life-changing for the women you will help support, as well as for yourself as you read and react to their inspiring stories. Also, the amazing opportunity to connect with women from Zimbabwe to Columbia, exchange ideas and laughter together and become friends. Gretchen Lee, an Editorial Midwife since 2009, wrote:
"As a Midwife, I was often overwhelmed with emotion while reading the Correspondents' assignments-it became so important to me to be kind, genuine and supportive to my new friends from Africa and Nepal. I would actually imagine my hand reaching out and holding their hand as they bravely went forward expanding their own lives in such a valuable way. Throughout the program, it became crystal clear that the entire Voices of Our Future community was on fire with a genuine outpouring of support, admiration and love for each other. It was a watershed experience of empowerment. It was incredible!"
How to Apply
If you are interested in becoming an Editorial Midwife, please click here to download a short application, or if you have questions please email Emily Garcia at [log in to unmask].

Best regards
Laxmi Tamang
Doctoral student
School of Public Health
Faculty of Medicine
The University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Tel: +61-435910082 (Mobile)
Skype: laxmitamang2
Blog: http://www.laxmitamang.blogspot.com