John Wickstrom

From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious
culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dr Jim
Bugslag
Sent: Monday, July 11, 2011 3:59 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] FW: [M-R] Feasts and Saints of the Day: July 11

From: John Wickstrom  <mailto:[log in to unmask]> <[log in to unmask]>

John, in the context of your long-standing expertise regarding the 12th c.
sources on St. Maur, could you hazard a guess as to why an episode in his
life
might have been chosen (presumably by Suger) for depiction in a window in
the
new St. Denis choir?

or, is Maur just "incidental" here --the real subject being  St. Benny's
life?

Christopher,
I heard a paper at Kalamazoo in May by John Wickstrom (a listmember?) on
translations of the relics of St Maurus, which made their way -- like those
of Benedict himself and his sister St Scholastica -- to the Loire valley, at
the abbey of Glanfeuil.  But at some point in the 11th century, the relics
of St Maurus were transferred to the Cluniac abbey of Fossé, near Paris.
I've no idea whether there were direct links with Saint-Denis, but St
Maurus's relics were at least fairly close by.
Cheers,
Jim

join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to:
[log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to:
[log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave
medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or
to contact the list's owners, write to:
[log in to unmask] For further information, visit our
web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]