This is getting out of my area of expertise, but I understood that Suger,
after living a rather comfortable and worldly life in the 1120s, was
inspired by St. Bernard's Apologia to undertake a reform of the monastery
community of S. Denis and his own 'lifestyle' in the late 1120 and 30s.

best,

jbw

culture

is

> one of several scenes from S Denis illustrating Gregory's  Life of St.

> Benedict.

> so, Maurus was (more or less) incidental here?

> >It would be interesting to know whether the windows were made before or

> after

> Suger's conversion to a more strict observance of the Rule.

> well, the windows can be fairly closely dated, so i assume that it is the
date

> of Suger's "conversion" (with which i am not familiar) which is in
question?

> has this event been attributed to St. Bernie (whom i know to have been
rather

> active in the "conversion" bidness, esp. in the '30s & '40s)?

> to: [log in to unmask]

> to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]