From: UK medical/ health care library community / information workers [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Prince Hannah (RQW) Pr Alexandra Hosp Tr
Sent: 29 July 2011 12:47
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [LIS-MEDICAL] No personal email for Athens registration

Hello all,

I've just heard that as of Monday, personal email addresses won't be accepted when people register for NHS Athens passwords, on or off the NHS network. I'm surprised and concerned by this.

Of course we've been encouraging people to use a work address for some time, but some people have a reason to use a personal address when they register (chief among them being: NHS login isn't working and it'll take ages to get IT to sort it out).

Most of these reasons could be overcome with a bit of time and effort on their part, but why would we want Athens registration to require more time and effort from our users? Many of them find the whole business of authentication hard enough to get their head round already. Telling them they have to go away and sort something else out first is going to mean more people will never use library resources - and in addition to the effect on the care those people provide, that's going to knock down our usage stats and make it even harder to make a case for money to pay for next year's e-subs for everyone.

I gather that work, academic and "professional" addresses will be accepted. Some of our users' work addresses are *.gov.uk or *.org.uk so I'm hoping they'll be OK.

I'm sure there's a reason for the change, but I'd really like to know what it is & that everyone is sure it's sufficient to set against the extra difficulties it introduces for a small-but-not-worthless group of users, and the library staff trying to help them.

If I've understood this incorrectly, I would be delighted to hear so!

Regards,
Hannah

Hannah Prince
Knowledge & Library Services Manager
Library, Parndon Hall
The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust
Hamstel Rd, Harlow, Essex CM20 1QX

Tel 01279 827112 / 827021
Fax 01279 445101
Email [log in to unmask]
http://twitter.com/pahlibrary
http://www.eel.nhs.uk

Care, Excel, Innovate

Apply to be a member of our Foundation Trust. See the web site at www.meht.nhs.uk for further details.

Information in this message may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient please accept our apologies; please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform us that this message has gone astray before deleting it.

Content of emails received by this Trust will be subject to disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act 2000. Unless the information is legally exempt from disclosure, confidentiality of this e-mail and your reply cannot be guaranteed. Thank you for your co-operation.