Salve a tutti,

	approfitto di questo testo ben scritto da Linda Carroll per la lista Serenissima, per trasmetterlo ad ulteriori destinatari.

It recently came to my attention that the most respected Italian review of books, L'Indice dei libri del mese, has been caused such serious financial difficulties by the prolonged economic crisis that it might even close. This would be a tragedy; L'Indice is so highly respected that Harvard's Widener Library uses it as the basis for decisions over which Italian books to acquire. Having been a subscriber almost since it was founded in 1984, I can vouch for its very high quality and very broad coverage. It is the complete guide to books of intellectual quality published in Italy.

Here is the URL of the website:

http://www.lindiceonline.com/

The editors, staff, and readers of L'Indice are doing everything they can to save this wonderful review and have already received some good initial support (I am sending a copy of this message to the review's president, Gian Giacomo Migoni). What they are especially interested in is increasing subscriptions by libraries. The subscription fee [abbonamento] is quite modest. We outside Italy, who benefit enormously from this unique and very high quality publication, will want to do our part as well. The president of the American Association of Teachers of Italian, for example, is sending out an appeal to the AATI membership, and efforts are also being made to engage the American Library Association because of L'Indice's embrace of all fields of knowledge. I hope that those serenissimi whose institutional libraries do not already subscribe will propose it.

I also encourage individual subscriptions: the reviews are beautifully written by top experts as well as new scholars, a regular feature is an in-depth film review, and there are essays on current issues.

	Mi unisco all'appello della collega, cordialmente, Giorgio Cadorini

Giorgio Cadorini - Slezska' univerzita v Opave"
http://www.cadorini.org/uniopava/
skype: giorgiocadorini

To join the list, send the message: join italian-studies YOUR NAME
to: [log in to unmask]
To leave the list, send the message: leave italian-studies
to: [log in to unmask]
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/italian-studies.html