I should like to draw the list’s attention to a book recently published by a
Bristol colleague, Dr Sara Jones:

Published by De Gruyter in Berlin, Complicity, Censorship and Criticism:
Negotiating Space in the GDR Literary Sphere (2011) examines the interaction
between intellectuals and Party functionaries from literary and historical
perspectives. It focuses on three case-study authors positioned along a
spectrum of conformity and dissent, Hermann Kant, Stefan Heym and Elfriede
Brüning, foregrounding the ambiguities and contradictions of intellectual
life in the GDR in ways that will affect the study of the East German
society as a whole for a new generation of literary, social and cultural
studies.

Please pardon the Departmental trumpet-blowing, but we are genuinely proud
of work of this calibre and are pleased to be able to recommend it to you.

Robert

Professor Robert Vilain, MA DPhil (Oxon)

German Department

School of Modern Languages

21 Woodland Road

Bristol BS8 1TE