Dear All

Can’t resist getting my bit in here as it looks as if I may be a dissenting voice.

Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t have problems with kids learning about sex, death and toilets and admit that it is something that motivates them.  I also don’t think that handling weapons and trying on armour turns children into serial killers.

However, the issue here is our choice in focusing on a specific aspect of, for example, Vikings – why should we just repeat what the children already get about Vikings no matter how motivating that is? I favour the notion that we have a duty to the children to stretch and deepen their understanding of a culture and a duty (yes, I mean it!) to the culture to give it some depth and texture so that the people who lived it are not stereotyped death-bots, but people who got hungry, struggled to make a living, produced beautiful objects, worried about their families etc etc.

So the question I’d ask, is not ‘What shall I do about these complaints?’, but ‘What is it that I really want children to learn about/from the Vikings (subtext – stuff that they’re not going to get already from Horrible Histories, TV shows, school and that therefore it’s worth their while coming to a museum to get) and who can I get/train who can best deliver it?’

I do sympathise - I’ve just been faced with a similar situation – all I could find at first were Viking warriors and combat re-enactors, which I didn’t want, so I’ve gone for a storyteller and some non-war-related first person interpreters. Feedback is supposed to encourage us to review our aims, even if we don’t alter them in the end.

Richard

Richard Woff

Head of Schools & Young Audiences Education

The British Museum

London WC1B 3DG

phone: +44 (0)207 323 8689