I teach a Greek Hoplites session at the moment, that features swords,
spears and history of warfare.

It depends on the audience what their tolerance is for gore and war...I
do my best to read them throughout, as I'm sure do all of us, but you
can never be 100% sure you get it right every time.

Hence, I tend to begin my session by mentioning that it gets a bit
'Horrible Histories' in places, and that if anybody is squeamish or
feels funny just pull a sick face, raise a hand, or otherwise indicate
to me go no further and I will stop...This gives them an out you see,
and it also covers your own backside if they do whinge because you have
catered for their needs.

 I'm not attempting to sensationalise the violence when I describe how a
spear is thrust into an enemy, but it did happen...There was a reason
that armour and weaponry was developed and it wasn't simply to show it
to interested school children x many thousand years later.

There is a temptation to go OTT sometimes when you have an audience that
is clearly a little blood thirsty, but rather than over egg the pudding
as though I am enjoying watching Gladiatorial combat, I change my pitch
to become matter of fact as I mention how an arrow or sword to the neck
etc isn't something you can easily shake off, and that it will in all
likelihood kill you.

A phrase I find myself using a lot is "This isn't Hollywood, you don't
get back up!" Then usually slam dunk it with a moral lesson about the
finality of war death and so ask the children if they think "settling
disputes with war is it a good idea?" Their universal cries of "Nooooo!"
salves the conscious of the more fluffy teachers.

In short, I'm sure the re-enactor was doing a superb job, but perhaps
tempering the gore descriptions with a few moral pointers and giving
teachers and children an invitation to pull an emergency stop cord if
they want to would help?

Sadly, those teachers who assume that you can properly 'teach' a session
involving ancient warfare without mentioning that in ancient warfare
your job was to introduce pieces of sharp metal violently to soft and
yielding flesh, well...They're living in another world. The pink and
fluffy world of action movie deaths where Brad Pitt turns up alive
wearing a weak moustache and even weaker accent in another later
production.

Any opinions herein are not those of my employer etc...Just in case the
blurb doesn't print under my mail.

Dave Graves
Formal Learning Officer
Luton Culture
Wardown Park Museum
Old Bedford Road
Luton LU2 7HA

Tel 01582 546980
Email [log in to unmask]
Website  http://www.museumsluton.com/schools

IMPORTANT: Luton Cultural Services Trust routinely monitors the content of e-mail sent
and received by its e-mail systems, to ensure compliance with its policies and procedures.

E-mails that contain encrypted material, program files, are obscene, inflammatory,
criminal, offensive, in breach of copyright or contain a virus or threat to Trusts`s
computer systems may be intercepted and/or deleted.

Internet communications are not secure.
The Trust is not responsible for any changes made to the message after it has
been sent.

This message is intended only for the addressee. Any unauthorised copying or
distribution may be unlawful.

If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender at
Luton Cultural Services Trust HQ,
Luton Central Library,
St George's Street,
Luton, LU1 2NG,
tel: 01582 547470
or by using the reply option to this e-mail.
Then delete this message from your system.