Hi,

The T2-weighted scan and "BET2" in this context is only concerned with
when you want to fit the "inner skull, outer skull and outer scalp" as it says
in the slide.  If all you want to do is extract the brain (from non-brain)
then a single T1-weighted image is fine and is the most common case.

You can't do the inner skull, outer skull and outer scalp estimation with
the BET GUI - you need to run betsurf from the command line.

As for large/small errors in BET.  It is difficult to give any general rule of
thumb because it depends on where the problem is and whether it is
scatter or consistently in one area.  Are the problems you are having
related to bias field by any chance?  You might benefit from running
FAST to do bias correction (which does not need the initial BET result
to be very accurate, as you will just use the bias field output which is
very smooth and hence not unduly affected by small extra/missing regions).
As for other tools - FLIRT is relatively insensitive because it only estimates
6 or 12 parameters from the whole brain, so as long as the erroneous
parts make up a sufficient small region wrt the entire brain then it is unlikely
to affect things a lot unless there is a very consistent change (like eroding
the whole frontal part of the brain away by a few voxels - something like
this would definitely cause problems).  For FNIRT it doesn't matter as it
uses the non-brain extracted images for the final passes and hence should
recover from any small errors introduced before.  The main one where there
is a big effect is FAST when it is run for the purpose of extracting quantitative
tissue volumes.  In this case either missing parts of the brain or extraneous
non-brain material *will* affect the volume estimates, normally enough to make
the measurements not very useful (since it is typical to look for small changes
in volume, and so small errors matter).

In general, just try your best result and see what happens.  If the registration
looks fine then you don't have to worry.  If you are doing something else, then
check those results.  Unless it is a difficult thing to check visually, then it normally
suffices to *LOOK AT YOUR RESULTS*!  :)

All the best,
	Mark