Eugene: Wouldn't this have something to do with the sub-sampling
interval that I presume is lurking "under the hood" in constructing the
EV in the digital domain?  That is, there will be some interval that is
too short for consecutive events to have an impact on the resulting EV,
and I suspect that 0.0001 sec is indeed shorter than that interval.
But, if the events were separated by say 0.1 sec, it might well be a
different story.

Katie: This seems easy enough to check empirically by removing the
offending extra entry, saving the design, and then comparing the
two .mat files to see if (and if so, how) they differ.

cheers,
-MH