I thought that the film was weakened by seeing the others. The special effects seemed to function in a way analogous to the stereopticon scene in Badlands, but in a more literal and I think overblown way. But people I respect have really liked the film so I'll give it another try. Don't think multiplex audience reactions are much of an indication of anything. I would hate to see the reaction of a typical audience to Brakhage's Text of Light, which I love. I suspect that those who have had such negative reactions to the film aren't attuned to any film with a degree of abstraction -- how could they be given what they've experienced -- and aren't going to make distinctions between instances.