I found this document which is a good start.

There are no universally correct conversion factors for waste - what is
most important is that year on year the same conversion factors are
used.
General Waste
The most popular volume to weight conversion factor, and that used for
the waste mapping exercise, is the industry standard:
l 40 kg per cubic metre
There were concerns however that, because this is an industry standard
across all sectors from catering to construction, it may prove too heavy
for FHEI use.
Recent analysis of 6 months* pay-by-weight data from Leeds
Metropolitan and Bradford for their general waste has revealed that the
average weight disposed of from 1100 litre bins is 45.77 kg. This
equates to 41 kg per cubic meter for HE general waste (generally
excluding paper and card).
Therefore it would seem based on initial data, that the industry
standard is acceptable for estimating the majority of general waste
streams in the sector.

Regards

Steve Vincent-Marshall  MBIFM
Estates Manager
Barton Peveril College

>>> Carol Waterhouse <[log in to unmask]> 7/29/2011
2:39 pm >>>

I have sent a query to IPD to see how they want us to complete this
section when we only have volumes, but no response to date!

[cid:image003.png@01CC4DFD.649060F0]

Carol Waterhouse
Head of Finance, Funding & Resources
NEW College, Park Lane, Pontefract