Dear All,

I have very much enjoyed reading these useful contributions. Paul Glasziou showed us all up by stating what should be obvious to all of us – what everyone signed up to this list should be fighting for: CUT OUT TREATMENTS THAT HAVE PROVEN TO BE USELESS. It merits restating:

"We might do this by doing less useless things (cutting waste). For example, vertebroplasty for osteoporotic fractures was costing the US about $1Billion per year, but the two RCTs that used a sham control showed no benefit. This is just one of a very long list. We could also cut costs by doing the same things better - which quality improvement aims to do …. Another example is Peter Pronovosts' work to reduce central line infections, which saved lives and money (from less ICU time)."

Best wishes,

Jeremy

--

Jeremy Howick PhD, MSc, PGCert, DipSoc, BA
MRC/ESRC Postdoctoral Fellow