It is relatively easy to support limits on futile care in hypothetical situations, but many physicians lack expertise or courage in the application. We have difficulty controlling the misuse and overprescription of antibiotics and and narcotics let alone the greater challenge of accepting death and helping our patients and their families do so. This needs to be a discussion starting at the beginning of medical training.
Loree K. Kalliainen, MD, FACS
St. Paul, MN

Sent from my HTC smartphone

From: Djulbegovic, Benjamin <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2011 8:05 AM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: solution to health care cost crisis: technical vs.philosphical..

In light of repeated discussion of unsustainable rise in health care costs that is threatening to undermine all other aspects of the way modern society functions, I attached the article from this morning NYT. The author argues that a technical solution to health care crisis is not feasible, but instead a solution lies in the way we deal with our own mortality. Understanding and accepting death as an integral aspect of human life- and hence not clinging to (expensive) medical interventions that are devised to “marginally extend the lives of the very sick” may provide the avenue to the current financial crisis that appears to be largely driven by health care costs.

Provocative and intriguing thoughts to which no one can remain indifferent….and I am looking forward to reading further insightful comments from the members of this group…

Best

Ben

Benjamin Djulbegovic, MD, PhD

Distinguished Professor

University of South Florida & H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute

Department of Medicine

Chief, Division of Evidence-based Medicine and Health Outcomes Research

Co-Director of USF Clinical Translation Science Institute

Director of USF Center for Evidence-based Medicine and Health Outcomes Research

Mailing Address:

USF Health Clinical Research

12901 Bruce B. Downs Boulevard, MDC27, Rm#3129/3126

 Tampa, FL 33612

Phone # 813-396-9178

Fax # 813-905-8909

e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Campus Address:             MDC02

Office Address :

13101 Bruce B. Downs Boulevard,

CMS3057

Tampa, FL 33612

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or the individual responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, please be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the HealthPartners Support Center by telephone at (952) 967-6600. You will be reimbursed for reasonable costs incurred in notifying us. HealthPartners R001.0