I am opposed to telephone assessments for DSA purposes. The one coming to be assessed often does know what technology is available to help, during the assessment I demonstrate software to a student and allow them to “play” themselves. This is impossible with a telephone assessment and without such an opportunity the assessment must be flawed. I do not know what the Becta ‘Home Access Assistive Technology programme’ was trying to determine but I would be surprised if the aim was similar to a DSA assessment. Please do not make this the norm.