Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 15:12:50 +0100
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: DSA funding approval for part-time students
To: [log in to unmask]

Hi, the 2005/6 Guidance Notes said:

Once an LEA has established that a student is an eligible student under the regulations (i.e. eligible to receive support for fees and loans) the student becomes eligible at that stage to receive DSA support. An assessment of course needs should be arranged as soon as possible after it is established that the student is eligible for support and the LEA is satisfied that they have a disability, mental health difficulty or a specific learning difficulty. This arrangement should mean that appointments for assessments are spread over the early summer, and will help to reduce the backlog of appointments in September/October time. The needs assessment allows the LEA to determine how much grant the student is eligible for in DSAs.  Given that the assessment may be carried out some months before start of the course, some students may subsequently attend a different institution or course.  In such cases, a top-up assessment can be carried out once the student has confirmed his place on a course.

It doesn’t actually specifically refer to part-time students.  But does indicate that appointments should be spread over the early summer.

The current Guidance Notes say:

Once an LA/SLC has established that a student is an eligible student under the Regulations (i.e. eligible to receive support for fees, living and other costs) the student is potentially eligible at that stage for DSAs.  An assessment of course needs should be arranged as soon as possible after it is established that the student is eligible for support and the LA/SLC is satisfied that they have a disability, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty. The needs assessment allows the LA/SLC to determine the amount of DSA grant for which the student is eligible. Given that the assessment may be carried out some months before the start of the course, some students may subsequently attend a different institution or course. In such cases, a top-up assessment can be carried out once the student has confirmed their place on a course.

Not sure if this is what you were looking for or not!

Regards, Lesley

Lesley Morrice

ACCESS Centre Manager

Student Services Centre