From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues on behalf of Lawrence Serewicz
Sent: Mon 04/07/2011 18:48
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [data-protection] Yammer

Ian,
There are a number of local councils using yammer and the EU commission uses it as well. I am not sure how they have assessed it for DP compliance, but I would imagine that it all depends on what you are discussing.

If there are clear guidelines, then you should not be discussing confidential or business sensitive issues.  To be sure, you will have personal information being discussed, but the same can be said for all the emails that you send externally and internally (depending on where your server is located) and where you are sending emails.

As they say in FOIA, do not write it down if you do not want it disclosed.  If people are using Yammer to discuss sensitive personal information of clients or service users (or even their personal information) you need to revisit your terms and conditions for allowing people access to Yammer.  Yammer is the technology and the DPA is focused on the people and procedures.

I would be interested to find out what you discover so if you find something interesting, please share.  Have you asked the ICO for their view?

Best,

Lawrence

Principal Information Management Officer
Durham County Council
Room 4/140
County Hall
County Durham