I could put you in touch with former residents who can tell a story or
two.....as can I.

In short, part of the reason is, at various times over the years the network
has been beset by muggers and alcoholics etc.  So the network has acquired a
reputation as not a particularly pleasant experience for local cyclists.

Secondly, in my time using it to cycle to Cranfield University, it's not
well signposted, if at all, plus the signposts that were there in that time
were often vandalized.

Finally, if you were not entering the network from within the network (i.e.
from residential areas or certain destinations)....it was virtually
impossible to get into it from the roads network (perhaps in noting the
previous two points this is a good thing).  My typical journey was from the
station through M1 Jct 13, a couple of miles on the other side of town, to
Cranfield.  There was no obvious route and no maps at the station so I ended
up blitzing down the dual carriageway, not particularly unpleasant at the
times of day I was using it and given that, at least in that direction, it
was mostly downhill, not really much of a hassle for an experienced
cyclist....and a damn sight quicker than trying to figure out the network.
It was a similar story on the occasions I cycled into MK from other
directions....no entry into the cyclepath network, so you end up on the
principal roadways which, in any case, were a lot more direct and quicker.

I would, however, suggest this is not just a failure in terms of cycle route
implementation because, whilst on paper transportation provision at MK looks
good, there is a more general failure of transportation logic.  For this you
should explore (or at least give it a bit more than a cursory glance) the
arrangements for bus passengers (I presume it's not much different from the
early part of the last decade).

At the time there were three bus station (and had been for many years).  The
bus station at the railway station was restricted to MK council's own bus
company, but nowhere near the shopping centre.  The other bus companies
operating services, from out of town, could stop at the shopping centre, but
not at the railway station (so you had to catch an occasional hoppa bus from
there to the station).

If you had the misfortune to catch a long distance coach they are forbidden
from coming into town or railway station, so passengers (including one of my
friends) were dumped at a bus stop on a piece of tarmac adjacent to M1 Jct
13...a very long way out of town.  For many years there wasn't even a phone
to call a taxi or parents or friends....or the police and certainly no
public transport services.  That said, in the late 90's there were
concessions made and a phone and a waiting room built, but the principle of
service segregation was still preserved, presumably to this day.

Basically, as a model of good town planning in action....bear in mind the
modellers were on holiday when the transportation system was planned!

I'd perhaps look a bit wider on this one.....but good luck!

Cheers

John Meudell
C.Eng, MIMechE
Swansea University, former Cranfield Student and CTC Councillor