did you try looking if there is a company offering data recovery services from these kind of tapes?
if there is, there may not be a need to buy a tape drive yourself.
Mark

Quoting "Min, Xiaoshan":

> Dear CCP4 community,
>
> We have a few datasets that reside in tapes (Sony QG-112M 8 mm tape
> and Maxell DDS-2 4 mm tape).  I have been searching the internet for
> tape drives ( and cable) but haven't found anything.   Does anyone
> know where we can purchase compatible tape drives for these lovely
> tapes? Or if you have a spare working set sitting in your graphic
> room and would like to sell them, that will be wonderful.   Thanks.
>

> Xiaoshan Min. Ph.D.
> Molecular Structure
> Amgen San Francisco
> 1120 Veterans Blvd.
> South San Francisco, CA 94080

Mark J van Raaij
Laboratorio M-4
Dpto de Estructura de Macromoléculas
Centro Nacional de BiotecnologĂ­a - CSIC
c/Darwin 3, Campus Cantoblanco
28049 Madrid
tel. 91 585 4616
email: [log in to unmask]