De: CCP4BB automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 00:04:10 +0100
Sujet: CCP4BB Digest - 17 Jul 2011 to 18 Jul 2011 (#2011-199)
À: [log in to unmask]

Topics of the day:

1. Bypassing phase separation for nice crystals. (3)
2. unusual sighting of a crystal structure (2)
3. Off Topic: PDB validation server
4. un-subscribe
5. Data from old tapes (2)

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 09:52:31 -0400
From: "F. Timur Senguen"
Subject: Bypassing phase separation for nice crystals.

Hi everyone,

I have been issues with a particular protein. I have been close for a while,
but yet so far.

Rather than going from a clear drop to crystal, my protein first undergoes
phase separation (large oily drops) in which one phase contains most, if not
all, of the protein. This phase separation occurs within a day of preparing
the drop. A day after phase separation the oily phase is now a large
disordered crystalline mass which does not diffract very well. I have tried
changing buffer concentrations, precipitant amounts, ionic strengths and pH
and in all cases this phenomenon is observed. I even screened protein
concentrations to see if reducing protein concentration would prevent the
phase separation.

Is there any way to bypass this phase separation, which I think prevents me
from obtaining nice crystals. Should I try detergents, chaotropes, or other
additives?

Thanks in advance.

Timur

--
F. Timur Senguen, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow

have you tried seeding from your microstalline stuff? Might be worth to try!
Cheers,
Albert
Albert GUSKOV (Dr) | Research Fellow | Division of Structural &
Computational Biology | Nanyang Technological University
Proteos 7-01, Biopolis Drive 61, Singapore 138673 Tel: (65) 6586-9690 GMT+8h
| Cell: (65) 8366-2779 | Email: [log in to unmask] | Web: www.ntu.edu.sg

2011/7/18 F. Timur Senguen