From: James Holton <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tue, Jul 26, 2011 11:55 am
Subject: [ccp4bb] small lysozyme crystals?

Does anyone out there have a protocol of growing HEWL crystals that are all 50-100 microns wide?  I gave this project to a summer student recently, thinking it would be easy, but it is turning out to be more difficult than I thought.  Keep getting sphereulites instead of small crystals.  Yes, I know you can smash a large lysozyme crystal with a hammer, but that is not exactly what I was going for.  What I was hoping for was a well-defined protocol for growing "reference" crystals that stay evenly illuminated in our x-ray beams as they rotate.  The beam is 100 um wide.

I'm sure someone has done this before?

-James Holton
MAD Scientist