On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 18:36:59 -0700 (PDT)
Michael Thompson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I would like to view the intensity-weighted reciprocal lattice for
> several data sets that I have collected. (The data have been indexed,
> integrated and scaled with Denzo and Scalepack.) I was wondering if
> anyone could offer some advice on what might be the best and/or most
> practical way to do this?

For the "Hollywood graphics" shown in various talks about the LCLS
X-ray laser nanocrystal work, I generated something very similar to
what you want.  To do it, I wrote a program which ate a list of
reflections and wrote a script for Persistence of Vision (raytracer),
then invoked the raytracer in "animation mode" to make individual
frames of animation before using a video encoding program (mencoder or
Final Cut Pro) to stich them together.  It was all a bit hacky, and it's
a terrible way to visualise results for anything other than impressing
audiences, but it did work.  The code to do it is in our FEL
crystallography suite which will be released publicly quite soon.
Customising the animation is done by editing the source code, and isn't
easy.

For something a few years ago, I wrote a different program which,
amongst many other things, showed a 3D reciprocal lattice weighted
exactly how you describe and allowed you to roll it around and zoom in
and out. If it sounds useful, I could resurrect that old code and tidy
it up a bit to make it useful - there's not much to it.  It could be
useful for my own work, so I could prioritise it a little higher if it
could be useful to other people...?

Tom