Dear Jacob,

Andrea Thorn and I will be demonstrating such a program (called AnoDe) at
the Software Fayre at the IUCr Meeting in Madrid and it is already available
from my beta-test site on email request. AnoDe requires only two input
files: a PDB file of the refined structure and the name_fa.hkl file from
SHELXC that includes the phase shift alpha that is added to the heavy atom
phase to get a starting value for the native phase in experimental phasing
by SAD, MAD, SIRAS etc. Anode determines the heavy atom substructure phase
by subtracting alpha from the native phase that it calculates from the PDB
file. The resulting 'heavy atom density' is summarised in a variety of useful
ways and a file is written for Coot to display it. The advantage of this
extremely simple approach is that it can be used for SAD, SIR, SIRAS, MAD
and RIP phase information and that apart from SHELXC no other program,
library, environment etc. are required.

Best wishes, George

On Wed, Jul 06, 2011 at 11:46:14AM -0500, Jacob Keller wrote:
> Dear Crystallographers,
>
> it seems to me that for clearly identifying/characterising anomalous
> scatterers for a solved structure, one could make a map using two
> datasets: one at the f" peak, one low energy remote. One would then
> use the signal both from the Bijvoet differences in the peak dataset
> plus the differences between the peak and low-energy datasets, which I
> think I have seen called "dispersive" differences. I guess this would
> be like a MAD map, but using pre-existing model phases--is there such
> an animal in the software, or would it even be helpful?
>
> Jacob Keller
>
> --
> Jacob Pearson Keller
> Northwestern University