From: Alec Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Quote of the day by Chris Hamilton-Emery
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Saturday, 2 July, 2011, 17:34

Right!!!

I know anyone that says anything negative about Salt gets a flood of hate mail.  But, I'm three sheets to the wind and I've had enough.

It is bad enough that Salt have sullied their wonderful catalogue of avant-poets with their Erotic Fiction. Mind you, I think a few of the Erotic titles are actually very good and even ground breaking.  Not that I should be reading that kind of thing.

However, when an editor with a prominent profile starts shouting about alternative poetry being a lost cause it is detrimental to public perception and destroys all the hard work lesser known editors are doing in the field.

Alternative poetry is the only growth market in the publishing sector.  Barclays Bank acknowledge this, they are very impressed by the entire scene.  Even the literary clubs at Cambridge University are taking an interest since Sean Burn got nominated for the Michael Marks.

My biggest export market is Belgium, where I have exported nearly 1,000 books,  my next biggest market is America, where they love British experimental poetry.  What is Chris going on about?

Alternative poetry is getting bigger all the time, there are more brilliant publishers than ever springing up to publish it - Barclays told me this, but the amount of new presses I've seen emerge in the North West is very encouraging - and there are Degree courses in Alternative Literature springing up all over the place.

The future is bright.  It's not Orange though, their customer service is shit.

Alec.