That's a very interesting take, Jim. I'm sure you're right about her producer though even someone as out of it as I am has a suspicion that there are many potentially different sounds out there hovering about the rock scene but they don't get taken up commercially. The wasteland of popular music since the 80s principally exists because of the amount of corporate and capitalist control that obtains, in the supposed 'free' markets of music. But I think you know that anyway.

As far as I know someone like Ute Lemper in Germany does something like your description of  Amy Winehouse , but in Amy's case I think the pastiche falls back onto itself. I heard a snatch of her last currently available recording yesterday, a duet with Tony Bennett, that cultural icon of the vanished mind, and it just sounded like a good old ersatz piece, itself a reprise of a grotesquerie (that bizarre teaming of David Bowie and Bing Crosby once upon a time) but the signal it sent: Amy equals continuity with tried and tested musical money, as in notes, was telling.