Thanks Arthur.

Will do.

On 5 July 2011 07:57, arthur torrington <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Look for African and other names, also check for place or country of birth. Focus on the 18th and 19th century.

arthur

Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 07:40:16 +0100
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Historical Research

To: [log in to unmask]

Thanks Peter.

I have already contacted Edinburgh University however but they don't record ethnicity. I will keep trying other avenues.

Best wishes,

Obrey

On 5 July 2011 07:20, Peter Freshwater <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi Obrey

Nursing in Edinburgh was (and is) part of the hospitals service.  The University of Edinburgh established a Dept of Nursing Studies only in the late 1960s or early 1970s, and was (and still is) taught as a social science.  The Lothian Health Services Archive is held as a separate service in Edinburgh University Library (www.lhsa.lib.ed.ac.uk) and can be contacted on [log in to unmask].  The nursing registers go back to 1889.  There should be an equivalent collection in Glasgow.

You might also think it worth googling and contacting the General Nursing Council for Scotland, but its archivers may be held in the National Archives of Scotland.

Good hunting.

Peter

Peter B Freshwater,  MA, DipLib, FSA Scot
43 Corstorphine Road, Edinburgh EH12 5QQ, Scotland
Tel: 0044 (0)131 337 7049
Email: [log in to unmask]