I went to buy a Kindle (for personal use) yesterday and, as someone with a visual impairment, found it extremely inaccessible and therefore disappointing.  The whole device seems designed purely for the traveller; namely a mass storage device to enable you to carry around a large number of books.  As such it is pretty good, but it seems a missed opportunity not to enable accessibility features on such a device.

Anyway, I have just sent my thoughts to the Kindle Feedback email posted by Conrad (mentioning both the lack of accessibility from VI and motor skills angles) so we’ll have to see if I get a nice reply!

Aside from the iPad, is anyone else out there aware of eBook readers with better accessibility options?

Thanks,

Matt

Matt Harrison

Assessment and Access Centre Manager