Dear all

Many thanks to all who replied to my request for information on behalf of a small charity archive.  Here’s a summary of responses:

Recommendations for affordable cataloguing system

Modes XML - http://www.modes.org.uk/

http://ica-atom.org/

The Archivist's Toolkit, a free-to-use piece of software  http://www.archiviststoolkit.org/. …good to use and vigorously supported by its user community. I'm not sure if it gives you website-compatible objects, but it will allow the EAD to be used and transferred onto another system for use. It's fine for items as well as records, so I assume books wouldn't be a problem either. The only downside is that it might be a bit confusing to those not experienced with archives

omeka.org

Archon, provided free to use by The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.  free and fairly easy to use.  The Archon page to download the product is here

database called PastPerfect, which has separate sections for objects, archives, photos and library, but they can all be cross-referenced to each other, be lined to the same accession, etc.

single licence stand alone version of CALM

Lite version of Calm, whether as a local standalone installation or as a hosted system whereby all the customer needs is Internet access and the ability to click on a link

http://www.data-archive.ac.uk/find/hasset-thesaurus

Adlib offer a free cataloguing system www.adlibsoft.com

Best wishes

Phaedra

Phaedra Casey BA MA MA

Archivist

Brunel University Archives

Kingston Lane

Uxbridge

Middlesex UB8 3PH

01895 265390

Please note that the Archives Reading Room is at Runnymede, Surrey.  Tel 01784 436111

Our fees for 2011: £5 per simple look up, otherwise £5 per 30 mins research, plus copying and p&p.