A question for users of CALM who have created name authority files, especially for foreign nobility.

I am currently cataloguing a collection of 18th and 19th century scientific correspondence. As part of the project I am creating Name Authority files using CALM and applying the NCA "Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names".

I have run into difficulties trying to correctly form an authorised form of name for members of foreign nobility, which does not appear to be covered by the NCA rules. For example, the full name of Nikolaus Joseph von Jacquin, a baron, appears on wikipedia as "Nikolaus Joseph Freiherr von Jacquin", the Freiherr von being the equivalent of "Baron of ...". If I took the anglicised form of his name, Baron Nikolaus Joseph von Jacquin, I could easily and simply fit this within the fields presented on CALM for this purpose.

However, if I attempt to preserve the original germanic name would I add the "Freiherr von" to the forenames, preserving much of the original construct but losing the clear definition that Freiherr is a title, or would I add some combination of "Freiherr von Jacquin" to the title field, denoting his noble title but losing the construct in the authorised name and possibly creating confusion? Or should I just transliterate his title into English?

Tom Kennett
Cataloguing Archivist

Linnean Society of London