0032 2 (0) 2 627 46 44 (laboratoire)

De : "CAMPBELL, Gill" <[log in to unmask]>
À : [log in to unmask]
Envoyé le : Jeu 28 juillet 2011, 9h 57min 02s
Objet : Re: Deflocculent for radiocarbon samples

Dear Jen,

We did some experiments on this and found that a series of freeze-thaw cycles worked best and did the least damage to the remains. Pop your samples in a freezer  take them out after 24 hours, and then allow to defrost.  Repeat the process twice (freeze and defrost the samples three times) and then process as usual.

We also embedded cereal grain if known date (Roman destruction deposit) in clay and floated the samples using a simple wash over technique  following soaking in various chemicals: Calgon, Sodium bi-carbonate, Sodium hexametaphosphate, Tetra sodium pyrophosphate decahydrate, and Hydrogen peroxide. We then radiocarbon dated the contaminated grain and a control sample and found that there was no significant difference in date between the 'contaminated' results and the control sample.

I'm afraid this work is not published as we are still hoping to repeat the process with more samples

Gill Campbell
English Heritage