These uncarbonized seeds may be quite common in some sites in southern
regions. Some have hard seed coats like Lithospermum and others. They
may be old, but in many cases they are not as old as the layers they are
found in. So be carefull! C14-Datings may help, but are expensive. Some
seeds have minerals in their seed coats  (e.g. Vitis!) and not much carbon.

> It is not unusual to find many seeds of ruderals in archaeobotanical
> samples here in the USA, such as you have found.  Since they are seeds
> of disturbed ground, also called pioneer plants, and taxa such as
> Chenopodium and Polygonum produce hundreds of seeds, I interpret them
> as being deposited in the seed bank of old agricultural fields, but
> not necessarily in ancient fields.  They will naturally move downward
> and be distributed by the action of invertebrates as they move around
> in the soils.  Ants and other invertebrates are ever present in soils
> and I find heads and other insect body parts which I believe occur
> naturally since the insects are commonly found in the same soils.  If
> feature soils are collected in levels, you will often find that the
> number of seeds diminishes with depth.
>
> Tonya Largy, M.A.
> Archaeobotany Consultant
> Wayland, Massachusetts
> USA
>
> Roman Hovsepyan wrote:
> > Dear Llorenç Picornell,
> >
> > I also found such a concentration of plants (Chenopodium,
> > Amaranthus, Salsola, Anchusa, Polygonum, etc.) seeds for many times.
> > In my cases, they are mostly collected by insects or rodents. I
> > suppose about that by contemporary presence and activity of those
> > animals at the site and by findings of remnants of those animals in
> > the places of concentration of those seeds (i.e. ants heads, mice
> > bones, etc.). But i also do not reject possibility that those seeds
> > storages are made by ancient insects and rodents who lived in the
> > site with man in the past. It is more probable when you find those
> > concentrations in comparably deeper layers.
> >
> > With regards,
> >                     Roman
> > Roman Hovsepyan, PhD in Biology
> > Research Scientist, Institute of Archaeology and Ethnography NAS RA
> > Address: 15 Charents str., 0025, Yerevan, Armenia Tel.: (+374) 55 55
> > 05 29 /mobile/ E-mail: [log in to unmask]

> > ---- *From:* Llorenç Picornell Gelabert <[log in to unmask]>
> > *To:* [log in to unmask] *Sent:* Tuesday, July 12, 2011
> > 2:49 PM *Subject:* ruderal uncarbonized seeds in archaeological
> > layer
> >
> > Dear collegues,
> > We have rcently carried out a seed study in an Iron Age
> > archaeological site in Mallorca (Balearic Islands, Spain), in a
> > Mediterranean environment. In one of the analyzed archeological
> > layers, a large assemblage of uncarbonised seeds has been recovered,
> > with a lerge number of uncarbonised seeds of Chenopodium cf.
> > muralis, Fumana cf. officinalis, Mercurialis annua and Beta sp. All
> > these taxa could correspond to a ruderal plant community. In this
> > studied sedimentological layer, evidences of human occupation are
> > obvious as the sediments contain pottery, bones, charcoal...
> > However, this layer corresponds to an open air structure of the main
> > building. Our question concerns the taphonomy of this seed asemblage
> [...]

"-- "
Dr. Helmut Kroll

Tel. (D/0) 431 880 2338

Postfachanschrift:
Institut für Ur- und Frühgeschichte der Universität
24098 Kiel

Besucher- und Paketanschrift innerhalb der Universität:
Institut für Ur- und Frühgeschichte
Johanna-Mestorf-Str. 2-6
24118 Kiel