Of course, the algorithm HEFCE will use will have no bearing on our actions as we’ll all be returning complete and accurate data on entry qualifications!

Those who’ve looked at the quality of data in the UCAS *J file for this year will know that correcting the errors and filling in the gaps was/will be a big task. On top of that, we now have the incentive not to do it for one year (so as few students as possible are taken out of our SNCs). To base such a significant calculations on data that very rarely, if ever, gets audited, and is of questionable quality at source (we place minimal reliance on the *J file, but I sometimes wonder how much other institutions trust it) is a huge risk for HEFCE and the government. In a reasonable society, I would hope taking such a course of action in such a rush would not be allowed; but the fact HEFCE are even suggesting it is worrying. I would like to believe that all institutions return complete and accurate data on entry qualifications each year, but I don’t see the evidence of that.

HEFCE have come up with an equally strange idea in http://www.hefce.ac.uk/pubs/circlets/2011/cl17_11/ around recording of students on non-standard years, at least for anyone who has grown provision on non-standard years since 2007-08.

Being fair though, many of the suggestions seem quite sensible, there’s just the odd one or two that haven’t been properly thought through (or, for the conspiracy theorists, is designed for purposes other than those stated).

These views are all my own, and don’t necessarily represent my University, in case that needed making clear.

Ray

Ray Lashley

Senior Planning Officer

University of Essex