Cheers Christine/ Colleagues for noting this. Race equality in my opinion has become forgotten word – in 27 years of working in UK HEIs as a researcher, academic and manager, I have witnessed spin and the over glossing of race issues. The sector’s recent drive on internationalisation without recognising ‘race’ is a testament to this. I feel it’s left to inspirational individuals like yourselves to continue to push the boundaries. Let’s hope there’s more of us doing this than simply paying a lip service to race equality.

Have a good weekend.

Naseem

From: HE Administrators equal opportunities list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Yates, Christine
Sent: 29 July 2011 15:34
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: New Home Office Equalities website

Fact!  Andrew Pilkington’s case study is a reminder of how race equality is given less priority despite legislation being expanded and strengthened (positive action in recruitment – as if...!?)  Nothing will change until we have more Black Leaders making the decisions, and the stats are not encouraging.

Check out:  http://www.hrmagazine.co.uk/hro/news/1019608/black-minority-ethnic-bame-employees-feel-forced-leave-current-job-progress-career-report

There are 8 BAME women in Parliament and 33 David’s...?

Christine