From: Ben Summerskill
Sent: 12 July 2011 14:09
To: John McLellan
Subject: RE: Reasonable Accommodation of religious beliefs

Thanks John. Good to hear from you.

Our position on this, if helpful, is:

‘Stonewall is deeply disturbed at the EHRC’s statement announcing
applications to intervene in European Court cases of claimed discrimination
against Christians in the workplace. The case features two individuals,
Lillian Ladele and Gary McFarlane, who have refused to provide public
services to gay people.

The Commission should be crystal clear that if it seeks to defend the
claimed right of any public servant to turn away any user of a public
service, it will face strong opposition. Gay taxpayers currently contribute
£40 billion a year to the cost of Britain’s public services and no lesbian
and gay person should ever be deprived of access to them.

The EHRC’s announcement, which has apparently been made by officers without
consulting its board, confuses a settled legal situation that is currently
clear. If employees are allowed to discriminate against gay people in the
delivery of publicly-funded services, using the cloak of religion as
justification, then we risk seeing a situation where Muslims may start
refusing to treat alcoholics in hospital or social workers might decline to
assist single mothers.

Recent research has demonstrated that the majority of religious people in
Britain are proud of our progress toward gay equality. They understand that
religious beliefs do not mean individuals have a right to treat lesbian, gay
and bisexual people unfairly. We regret that the EHRC does not appear to
support this sentiment. We hope it will now offer an unambiguous
clarification of its position.’

If you want to circulate this statement to the people who sent you the email
you’re very welcome.

Kind regards

Ben

Ben Summerskill

Chief Executive

Assistant: Michelle Moon Lim

***************************

 <http://www.stonewall.org.uk/info> Description: Stonewall's Info Service -
Need some more support?
Stonewall’s info line on 08000 50 20 20 can offer information and referrals
to callers on a wide range of topics, including education, parenting and
employment. The info line is open Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 5.30pm, but
you can also find our info service online at www.stonewall.org.uk/info or
email us on [log in to unmask]

***************************

Direct: 020 7593 1851
Switchboard: 020 7593 1850
Info Line: 08000 50 20 20
www.stonewall.org.uk

Registered in England and Wales: Stonewall Equality Ltd, Tower Building,
York Road, London SE1 7NX
Registration no 02412299 - VAT no 862 9064 05 - Charity no 1101255

This e-mail is confidential and may contain privileged information. If you
are not the addressee it may be unlawful for you to read, copy, distribute,
disclose or otherwise use the information in this e-mail. If you are not the
intended recipient please notify us immediately.