From: HE Administrators equal opportunities list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Deborah Viney
Sent: 20 July 2011 13:56
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: exams and periods of religious fasting

Dear all
We are writing guidance for students where exams fall during a period of religious fasting.  For instance this year our retakes period co-incides with Ramadan.

Do any of you offer practical guidance to students on taking care of themselves if they are doing exams when fasting?  It is a little different to managing regular study which can more easily be adapted to fit in with times outside the fasting hours, while an exam is a fixed time.   We are also hoping to use students who have experience of managing fasting and exams as a resource but any examples you have of guidance would be welcome.

I'm very happy to share our draft guidance and to collate any answers I receive from the list for all to see
regards, Deb

--
Deb Viney, Diversity Advisor
School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS),