From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Robert Cramb
Sent: 25 July 2011 14:22
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: NT-pro BNP & BNP units

No doubt many of us are now offering BNP as part of our repertoire to review heart failure but I wonder if you can help review consensus.  The NICE guideline on heart failure (CG108) reviews the evidence in "pg/mL (pmol/L)".  When we (at UHB)  originally introduced NT-pro BNP for our cardiac transplant unit we adopted pmol/L (SI units; molar function etc.) but now that we are funded to provide GP NT-proBNP tests there is an insistence that we must use pg/mL for all reporting as "that is what is reported by NICE".

So CG108 quotes pg/mL and pmol/L but what should we use?  I would be grateful of any views from the list members and shall give feedback in a few days.

And before you ask him, I did consult Paul Collinson before embarking on this question.

Many thanks

Bob Cramb

This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry.
Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content.
ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk
Green Laboratories Work
http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk
List Archives
List Instructions (How to leave etc.)
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/

This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry.
Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content.
ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk
Green Laboratories Work
http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk