Dear Forum

I know this issue has been raised before. Bu maybe new solutions have come up in the mean time.
Direct Bilirubin, BILDF, on Roche Cobas 6000 has a hemolysis index of 25 suggested by Roche. Aanalysing a lot of neonatal heel-stick capillary samples we often have had to reject samles repeatedly and eventually draw a venous sample instead.
After an in-house study we decided to live with imprecision and raise the HI to 50 to avoid up to 20% rejected capillary samples.
Now Roche has launched a new more accurate direct Bilirubin application, BILD2, replacing BILDF. They suggest HI 10 on this one. I foresee the same problem coming up just worse this time.
Do any of you have any suggestions, experience with alternative solutions to this problem.

Thank you in advance.

Karen Søeby MD
Department of Clinical Biochemistry
Hvidovre University Hospital
Copenhagen, Denmark.

------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk Green Laboratories Work http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/