Hi all,

We would be grateful for any thoughts on the following case.  There is a baby in our neonatal ICU with multiple medical problems who has a high bilirubin.  On our Roche method we have been unable to report a direct bilirubin due to a high lipaemic index (index 130).  However on inspection of the sample it is not lipaemic and triglycerides are 0.79.  We have centrifuged the sample, there is no lipid  and the results (including the indices) are unchanged.  The baby also has had no lipid for the last 3 days and the lipaemic index has held at this level.

Has anyone any suggestions as to what may be interfering or causing the lipaemic index?

Many thanks,

Grainne

This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry.
Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content.
ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk
Green Laboratories Work
http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk