Hi I was present some years ago when a very friendly and highly respected physician (now retired) was asking his team about frequency of symptoms in a common disease. He told them they may be asked in a viva, for example, in disease X, how many patients get symptom Y? If they thought it might be common he said they should say 70%. They probably would be at worst 20% or so out, which the examiner would think was close enough. (They were more likely to be asked about common than uncommon symptoms, but if they were sure it was uncommon say 30%). Regards, Steve _____ From: Indovina, Joe [OCDUS] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Sent: 13 July 2011 16:12 To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: The 70% thing From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dennis Huckerby Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 11:06 AM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: The 70% thing Hi Mike Thanks for the update attachment and all now becoming clearer about the origination, and use of the 70% figure. In case anybody is interested in some of the stats available during the period of the Forsman 1996 paper, (and if not press your delete button now) I attach some possibly relevant tables from the market report Colin and I did for FT Healthcare during 1996 and 1997 which was then published in 1998 with the ISBN number 1 85334 8686. To this attachment I would add the following notes - 1 - a few years later when updated NHS figures became available we made an attempt to calculate the % figure for 1996 to add to graph in Figure 2.3. We expected this % to have increased but we ended up with a figure of slightly less than 2% (as I indicated in an earlier email) and at the time we could not find a reason why this had dropped. We then set it aside for further investigation but that never transpired as another major project arose. Were the NHS figures produced to a different basis? Did path costs really reduce so much? Or did other healthcare costs rise to higher levels than expected?? We never found out - apols as it would have been an interesting finding. 2 - during our work on this market report, we made an number of attempts to quantify the importance level of path tests to patient diagnosis and/or treatment. Sadly the availability of useful figures was just not there in those days and even though we had noted the Forsman paper (this was included as a reference in our report) indicating 70%, the best we could do was to make a supposition/subjective estimate of not more than 50%. But I do stress that was in 1996 before the major cash increases in health care input by the Blair government and I also have to stress it was before litigation became a serious aspect for clinicians and management to consider when diagnosing and treating patients. It was also before GPs were targeted/bonused on their management of specific diseases and I would hastily add that I am not suggesting that the acquiring of bonuses was a major decision point for GPs requesting path tests but having to focus on specific diseases encouraged them to be more aware of their needs for more positive diagnoses and so consider the benefit in requesting more path specific tests I think I will close now before I get myself into further trouble Hope some of this information is of interest to some of you and I would agree with your thoughts Mike that the 70% claim is " quietly buried"........................Dennis From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Hallworth Mike (RLZ) Sent: 12 July 2011 13:42 To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: The 70% thing Hi all - as promised, here is my summary of the (limited) evidence behind the various 70% claims. I've summarised it in an attachment to spare those who are already bored with this thread! Happy to update it if anyone has anything further to add. Mike <<70%.doc>> ------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk Green Laboratories Work http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/ ------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk Green Laboratories Work http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/ ------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk Green Laboratories Work http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/ This electronic message contains information from Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust, which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify us immediately at [log in to unmask] This Trust is committed to openness and transparency, and this commitment is supported by the Freedom of Information Act 2000. Under the Act, any recorded information held by the Trust, including this message, unless legally exempt, may be subject to public disclosure. Activity and use of the Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust E-mail system is monitored to secure its effective operation and for other lawful business purposes. Communications using this system will also be monitored for viruses and other harmful material. ------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk Green Laboratories Work http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/